You wouldn't go through life without taking Anything from it, Right?

Thursday, March 11, 2010

SoSILence and Sounds Manifest in the minds eye lens (minds silence)

Its dark in my mind. And outside, it is light, at leased it is in this time zone. Yet, in this silence, there are sounds - and I can not stop them. Skitzophrenia? yes/no. Really, who decides what voices are percieved as 'crazy' and what voices are patterns from the past and future, that ones beautiful mind translates into it's own saga? Skitzophrena runs in my family. I am not far removed from it, nor scared of it. Who says the syntax and rhythms can not determine a new language, a code from long ago, or in the future? It makes me quite curious, where all these voices come from, and what they can teach, instead or creating fear. There is enough fear already.
"What would happen if we studied what is right with people?" - Don Clifton

My Green Story
While reading Rhythm Science, the voices in my head were on overload. Like 23 records playing at once, forward-backward-upside-down and catywampus. I began to think about this tie to 'mental disorders' and the sounds and images that are created in the minds of people with these gifts, and the way in which they communicate in this world as we know it. I work as a counselor in a home with three cognitively disabled women. One of these women in particular is 'illiterate'. She reads (or interprets into what society percieves as reading) only certain, simple words like "life, love, cat, hat, small and l
arge". Yet, she loves to read. I was at the bookstore with her this past weekend, and she completed a 325 page book in about an hour span. We sat in silence, communicating through sounds that bounced around the bookstore, catching each others glance or laughing at things around us, in perfect rhythm. When she was finished with her reading process, and ready to leave, I was the epitome of curious. And so, I asked her how she read this book so fast? (obviously knowing that she 'reads' differently than the 'average' person). She told me that, "certain words just pop out at her on the page, and she makes up her own story". I will never know what story she was actually reading, but I know that she was satified with her saga, and that made me happy in return....And also made my head full of questions and possibilities.

What we read, what we hear, what we see: It is all contingent upon what is in our minds eye; what we know as the world around us; and then how we process and replace words with new words and phrases. We communicate in a multitude of arenas, stages, if you will. We are all tied together from the ancient past, texts, songs and symbols. And this to me, is quite exciting. People like Paul Miller, are genius to me. Melt the words and sounds into an intellectual cornacopia of possibilities. Singling no one out. Including the space around us all. And playing with the fabrics that weave everyone together. Whether we see, hear, feel, smell or taste this connection. It is all there...

No comments:

Post a Comment